Tips on Avoiding a Multi-Car Pileup
We’re not out of the cold season yet, and with news of the recent 65+ vehicle pileup in Minnesota and the over 100-car pileup in Texas, it’s even more important to practice winter driving safety tips. Pileups can happen quickly, especially when road conditions become slick and that’s evident when you look at the Minnesota and Texas accidents.
It’s vital to understand how you can maximize safe driving around Dunlap and what to do if you ever find yourself in a pileup situation. One of the most important tips when driving on slick roads is you should stay vigilant. Read on with Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Peoria to explore more winter safety tips and what you can do when encountering a multi-car pileup. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions.
Winter Driving Safety Tips
With the unpredictable nature of winter around Bartonville, it’s easy to get into a dangerous situation if you’re not paying attention. Take a look at some of the winter driving safety tips so you can prepare for any situation and arrive at your destination safely:
- Leave the house a little earlier and drive slowly.
- When driving on slick roads, you should add some distance between yourself and the other vehicles in front of you. When they hit the brakes or slow down, you have more time to react properly.
- Understand how your brakes react and know how to use them. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to see if your vehicle has antilock brakes.
- Stay in control of your vehicle by accelerating and decelerating slower.
- Avoid unnecessary stops as it can help you avoid sliding and a possible crash.
Navigating a Multi-Car Pileup
When an accident happens on the highway, it can easily get out of control fast. The best way to avoid more harm is by identifying the signs and staying vigilant when driving in the area. When driving on slick roads, you should:
- Be aware of your surroundings by checking your rearview mirror often to keep an eye on the vehicle or objects behind you.
- Monitor the flow of traffic all around you.
- Take your time and don’t make any drastic turns or change in speed.
- If a crash is imminent, avoid slamming on the brakes and try to slow down as calmly as you can.
- When involved in the crash, stay in your vehicle and call 911 or wait for help to arrive.
While you can’t plan for every accident, talking it slow and keeping space between other cars can give you time to react properly to avoid danger.
Prepare for Winter with Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Peoria!
The team at Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Peoria is here to help you through the winter. Schedule service with our service center to make sure your vehicle is in working order to take on the harsher months during your Galesburg commute. Or turn to the team in our parts center to stock up on your winter essentials like windshield wipers, tires, and even floor liners.
More from Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Peoria
Drivers from Dunlap to Bartonville know that the RAM 1500 lineup is known for power and resilience on open roads, but is it fuel-efficient? The answer is yes, the new RAM 1500 gas mileage can reach up to 22 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. That means that you can take on the toughest challenges…
Offering open-air driving experiences, endless accessories, and off-road capabilities, it’s hard to imagine the Jeep Wrangler getting any more impressive. And yet, somehow, the engineers at Jeep have managed to do just that by introducing the plug-in hybrid (PHEV) Jeep Wrangler 4xe. This PHEV has the features you need to enjoy your commutes from Dunlap…
If you’re in the market for a do-it-all SUV that has a third row of seating for your growing Dunlap family, the Jeep Grand Cherokee L deserves serious consideration. This SUV offers a deluxe cabin and powerful features under the hood to help you take on every adventure. Jeep ResearchView Inventory If you’re searching for…